Wednesday 5 December 2012

H and M, Maison Martin Marigela Collection, Fashion 2012





So I went to H and M with my friend Isi, when we were both in New York.  We were in a shopping centre I can’t remember the name of, just down from Times Square near the top (or bottom) of Central Park.  I always go into H and M, whichever town or city I’m in, as sometimes you find something they don’t have in any other branch of the store, and plus, I love their stuff.   So the first thought that came to my mind was ... why is everything creased?  Literally, every piece was hanging, totally wrinkled.  I saw the promotions and realised that it was the store’s opening day, and they must have, only hours before, just taken the clothes out of boxes.  The big news in the store was a cordoned off, security guarded section, MMM’s line.
Now, I do like fashion, I am a girl.  But I am not one of those girls who spends every morning picking out an outfit, blow-drying my hair, matching accessories, shoes, eye shadow etc for 2 hours.  But I have been quite interested by the looks this year (Or what I consider them to be.) 

In the spring, round the  end of April, I had a big job interview in Spain, and I went looking for an outfit through all the Spanish shops, to name a few, Blanco, Bershka, P and B, Pimkie, Shana, Mango, Zara.  I noticed a serious Spring primrose trend of block colours and I haven’t seen it leave all year.  Block coloured jeans, bold bright garish jeans in pinks, red, green, blue, plum.  And let’s not forget the pastel sensation that took over the shops, and I saw this is Barcelona in the line of other shops too (H and M, other international high street stores.)  Every shade of pastel (especially mint green.) And including, peach, cream, yellow, green, blue and any other “baby” colour you can think of, in every type of clothing and accessory you could imagine; shirt, bag, dress, jeans, shoes, blazers! There was a blazer craze too at that time.  (You saw them everywhere in all shades of pastels and brights.)  
Now it’s winter I am still seeing plain block coloured clothing in the high street (obviously among other patterned clothing as well) the bold jeans are still there, which I like to see, but a darker tone has crept in and the coats are taking up a large amount of room.  Black, Blue, brown and 50 shades of grey.   

So, I stepped into the VIP-esque MMM section and decided to take a look.  This was the lines launch and the store had pulled the stops out.  There were first day promotions and a DJ.  All we needed were flutes of champagne!  The most striking aspect of her collection was the bagginess of it all.  The coats and jeans were all huge.  The majority of the clothes were way too out there and expensive for me to even consider buying, but some of it I liked.  The ballet pumps with the clear plastic block heel were innovative, and weather proof (think spice girl shoes) and came in tan and black.  The accessories were wacky.  MMM has combined funky, actually guitar case shaped bags (full size at 400 USD) and had combined both gloves and the guitar theme on a smaller scale to make bags, with gloves sewn in as the handle.  The actual clothes took a backseat to the pieces that stood out so obviously.  There were a lot of baggy floor length coats, and inside out jeans, could be quite cool for a different look.  The trainers also caught my eye, they had some bright colours i.e. red, but the collection mainly stuck to beige, brown, black grey  and blue. 

The thing that struck me most about it was not the clothes or accessories themselves but the way they had been designed.  It was innovative, the designer has put together new methods in terms of making things, such as the handbags and jackets and jeans, so that the actual material almost takes a backseat to the never-seen-before.  Nothing was regular, everything was unique and tweaked, however at first glance you may have just seen large long plain coloured coats bags and trainers on the wall.  The way the pieces were combined and designed really was something I had never seen before.

Scroll down for some pics, and hope you enjoyed the blog. J

            

No comments:

Post a Comment